Click on the options below to view our current job openings:
Director of Operations
Full-time, Exempt Position (37.5 hours/week)
$85,000-$95,000 annual salary + benefits
Reports to Executive Director
The Children’s Creativity Museum (San Francisco) is looking for an individual with experience managing diverse administrative systems to join our dynamic mid-sized nonprofit during a phase of re-building and re-envisioning. Our organization is located in the Yerba Buena Gardens cultural district and our mission is to nurture creativity and collaboration in all children and families. Our visitors, staff, and Board represent a broad racial and cultural background; the museum has always been led by a person of color in our 20+ year history.
The Creativity Museum has had a $2.7M budget with a diversified revenue mix of earned income, federal grants, foundation grants, and individual giving. In 2019, we had about 120,000 visits to the museum and family theater programming, and about as many Carousel riders. Currently, the museum has about 15 employees and a budget <$2M that is expected to grow over the next 18 months.
The Director of Operations ensures that CCM is operating effectively to meet its overall goals, mission, and equity strategies. They are responsible for overseeing the organization’s operations and administrative functions as well as collaborating with the Executive Director on financial functions and with the Director of Philanthropy and Strategic Initiatives on tracking grant-funded programming. They lead a team that includes the Accounting Coordinator and the Senior Manager for Facilities. This position manages relationships with external vendors and internal processes around office management, operations, facilities, accounting, and administration.
Roles and Responsibilities
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with external accounting firm and supervise a long-tenured, part-time Accounting Coordinator to manage AP, AR, payroll, administrative record-keeping, credit card usage, bank accounts, revenue streams, and accurately conduct monthly financial close processes.
- Work with development staff to properly code and track restricted revenue and contributions, generate reports, and create budgets for grant proposals.
- Regularly review internal finance controls, policies and procedures and data entry.
- Manage annual audit process with accounting firm and external audit firm.
- Support ED with financial forecasting, business development, reporting, budgeting, and Board of Directors meetings.
- Review and manage contracts and invoices for utilities, equipment, property management, payroll, insurance, employee benefits, and other professional services.
- Be able to produce reports monitoring attendance, sales, and other business-related functions (CCM uses Blackbaud Altru as our ticketing and CRM system).
- Ensure that all permits, fees, and licenses are renewed and tracked.
- Manage day-to-day human resources responsibilities such as: maintaining employee manuals, overseeing equitable hiring practices, administering employee benefits portal, employee files, administering payroll portal, and serving as the point of contact for staff.
- Work with CCM directors to ensure personnel policies are equitable, inclusive, valid and compliant.
- Supervise Senior Manager for Facilities Operations who coordinates custodial services, IT, maintenance and engineering vendors, safety, and event production for the museum, theater and LeRoy King Carousel.
- Excellent organizational skills, good judgment, attention to detail, and ability to prioritize tasks.
- Solid understanding of accounting principles, bookkeeping practices and financial reporting is required. Experience in budget analysis is desirable.
- Advanced skills and experience with Microsoft and Google products as well as experience with Bill.com and accounting software (preference for Xero).
- Ability to meet deadlines and adapt to changing timelines and circumstances.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Must have excellent communication skills with internal and external stakeholders with the ability to maintain privacy and confidentiality.
- Familiarity with fundraising and/or retail/visitor services functions desirable.
- 4+ years of operations and financial management experience, especially in nonprofit organizations with diverse funding sources.
- Experience in museums, theaters or other cultural organizations that serve general audiences is desirable but not required.
- Lived experience or extensive work experience with people from a variety of backgrounds is desirable.
- We are committed to hiring people with the lived experience of structural and institutional discrimination. BIPOC are welcome and encouraged to apply.
CCM provides 100% medical insurance for all full-time staff as well as vacation, flexible work schedules and other benefits. This position is budgeted at $85,000-$95,000 annual salary. CCM is open to alternative work and compensation arrangements for experienced candidates.
To apply, send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.
Application review will start July 6th