Position Title: Visitor Services Associate (On-Call)
Reports to: Development & Membership Manager
Status/Hours: On-call, non-exempt, at-will, hourly; typically Thursdays - Sundays during business hours with occasional shifts on evenings and/or holidays
The Children’s Creativity Museum (CCM) is a nonprofit organization dedicated to helping children ages 2-12 build creative confidence through interactive, multimedia art-and-science experiences. Our mission is to nurture creativity and collaboration in all children and families. We believe that creative expression, innovation, and critical thinking are core to fostering the next generation.
CCM has always been led by a director of color. Our Board and staff are roughly 50 percent people of color. We see ourselves in many historically underserved communities and we actively reach diverse audiences through participation in museum access programs, free outdoor festivals and community events, and free field trips for Title 1 schools and community-based summer camps.
A Visitor Services Associate is the friendly face of CCM, playing a key role in fashioning the visitor experience, especially for first-time visitors. CCM’s goal is to provide a responsible, safe, and joyful creative experience for all visitors. The Visitor Services Associate should recognize the importance of each visitor and treat everyone with value, dignity, and respect.
CCM prides itself on providing a safe space in which staff of all backgrounds can bring their full, creative selves to work. As a member of our small but mighty team, you will be encouraged to brainstorm, collaborate, and have fun(!) as we live our Imagine-Create-Share creativity cycle everyday.
- Engage visitors at the front desk, selling admission tickets and memberships
- Redeem guest passes and facilitate access program engagement through Museums for All, Blue Star Families, and Discover & Go
- Develop proficiency with our Altru ticketing system and other museum software/hardware as needed
- Understand cash register operations and adhere to proper cash handling procedures, including opening/closing
- Serve as the primary point of information for CCM, our Looff carousel, and Yerba Buena Gardens, including, but not limited to, answering the phone, receiving and distributing packages and mail, and answering emails and phone messages within the same business day (to the extent possible)
- Graciously enforce museum policies, especially with respect to guest safety (i.e., children remain with parents, strollers do not block doors, etc.)
- Calmly initiate and relay missing child/parent alerts to museum staff and Manager on Duty, along with any and all other safety related incidents & concerns
- Respond to first aid situations calmly and responsibly, alerting the Manager on Duty should intervention or documentation be required
- Maintain the cleanliness of the front desk area and lobby, including, but not limited to, eliminating clutter, maintaining the membership brochure displays, and ensuring that our lobby and first floor restrooms remain presentable
- Promptly report facility/guest/janitorial issues to the Manager on Duty
- Assist with museum floor coverage during breaks and/or daily prep projects upon request
- Other duties as assigned
- Additional House Manager shifts available, assisting the theater and rentals department with on-site coordination of events in the theater, museum galleries and carousel, on an as-needed basis.
- Fun, outgoing, self-motivated, creative problem solver with customer service mindset
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Strong in-person, phone, and email etiquette
- Schedule flexibility regarding hours; availability to work weekends, holidays, and occasional evening shifts
- Able to operate a computer and work with multiple technologies
- Able to stand/sit for extended periods of time
- Must enjoy working with children, their families, and their caregivers
- High school diploma or equivalent; some college coursework preferred
- Fluency in a language other than English desired, but not required
Please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with your first and last name in the subject line.
The Children’s Creativity Museum is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity at all levels.