Professional Training and Development for Educators
In these hands-on workshops, teachers will explore creative classroom techniques that can be adapted to fit a variety of subject areas. Teachers will work directly with certified LEGO® Education trainers and CCM Educators to learn specific ways to incorporate the lessons in their classrooms.
Join our upcoming Teacher Workshops!
Join BirdBrain Technologies in the Inspiration Studio at the Children's Creativity Museum for a hands-on day learning to design, build, and program your own robot animal with the Hummingbird Robotics Kit!
Educators will have the opportunity to learn how to host your own Robot Petting Zoo and Makeathon anywhere. No coding experience necessary--Absolute beginners are welcome!
The Robot Petting Zoo and Makeathon engages students and educators in friendly making, coding, and design with a creative twist on the traditional hackathon!
Schedule: Saturday, May 6, 2017 | 10:00am - 4:30pm
Cost: $50 - $175
Please bring a laptop, with Snap! software downloaded: http://hummingbirdkit.com/learning/snap-programming
Make science come to life with WeDo 2.0!
LEGO Education WeDo 2.0 makes science, technology, engineering, mathematics, and coding come to life. The unique combination of the LEGO brick, classroom-friendly software, and engaging, standards-based projects result in a resource that builds students' confidence to ask questions, define problems and design their own solutions by putting STEM learning directly in their hands.
Subject: Science, engineering, computing, 2nd-4th grade
Teachers: Science, engineering and computing teachers
Schedule: Tuesday, June 27, 2017 | 9:00am-4:00pm
Cost: $95 (members), $100 (non-members) / max capacity 14
Course Content: Led by a certified LEGO® Education Academy trainer and using exciting hands-on activities and programme software, we'll discover how the projects in our three subjects areas can bring science to life in your classroom. We also cover lesson planning, ensuring WeDo 2.0 can fit into your everyday curriculum. By the end of the program, you will be fully prepared to make elementary science an inspiring, engaging experience for all the students in your class.
- Increase your understanding of WeDo 2.0 and how to use it effectively in your classroom.
- Explore a range of different project subjects and project types.
- Develop effective techniques to apply WeDo 2.0 in the classroom, including lesson planning and classroom management.
- Understand how WeDo 2.0 works in parallel with the National Curriculum.
- See coding and construction as great motivators in science topics.
Make literacy tangible with StoryStarter!
LEGO Education StoryStarter makes literacy tangible and creates a confident and engaged storytellers and writers. As a core platform for language arts learning, the Storyteller solution meets Common Core Standards and supports elementary teachers with a unique combination of the LEGO bricks, curriculum, easy-to-use software, and professional guidance and inspiration. Educators can encourage students to be engaged and confident writers and storytellers - enabling all students to succeed within language arts.
Subject: Literacy, 2nd-5th grade
Teachers: Language Arts teachers
Schedule: Monday, July 17, 2017 | 10:00am-4:00pm
Cost: $95 (members), $100 (non-members) / max capacity 10
Course Content: This program will help you integrate StoryStarter into your daily teaching and will allow you to choose from the 24 hands-on classroom activities from the StoryStarter Core Curriculum, teaching you how to familiarize yourself with the activities and product. By the end of the program, we hope you'll be inspired to use StoryStarter for anything from 5-10 minute short student build exercises to longer term project work, for groups and individuals, all as part of an engaging classroom experience.
- Help your students to structure their stories, develop collaborative skills, and write and present their work with confidence, via an introduction to StoryStarter and inspiration as to how it can spark your students' imaginations.
- Come familiar with the brick set, the curriculum and the StoryVisualizer software through hands-on practical activities.
- Develop best practices on classroom management with help from our expert advisors.
- Reach clear learning objectives, via targeted activities and lesson plans.
- Link the program content to your local and national curriculum plans, by discussing StoryStarter in relation to your daily teaching.
Engage your students in science and engineering with Simple Machines!
LEGO Education Simple Machines enables elementary students to discover how the real world works. Students get an in-depth understanding of mechanical and structural principles built into everyday machines. By building, designing, and testing solutions, students work as young scientists and engineers, all while honing design technology, science, and math skills. We support teachers by providing easy-to-use, age appropriate, hands-on materials along with guided lessons that meet technology and science standards.
Subject: STEM, 1st-3rd grade
Teachers: Science and elective class teachers
Schedule: Monday, July 24, 2017 | 10:00am-4:00pm
Cost: $95 (members), $100 (non-members) / max capacity 10
Course Content: Understand how to achieve STEM learning objectives using curriculum materials from Simple Machines and the LEGO Education learning methodology.
- Learn how to encourage your students to investigate and understand the operation of simple and compound machines found in everyday life, enabling them to work as young scientists and engineers. Increase your understanding of LEGO Education learning methodology.
- Become familiar with best practices in facilitating learning, by using Simple Machines in a classroom setting.
- Gain hands-on practice to help you reach your learning objectives with Simple Machines.
- Increase the efficiency of your lesson planning for STEM learning.