CAROUSEL GRAND REOPENING – SATURDAY, MAY 17, 2014
Join us in commemorating the reopening of our carousel
with FREE rides and entertainment for all ages.
After over a century of service, our beloved carousel is temporarily closed for repair.
The historic carousel, hand-carved by craftsman Charles Looff in 1906 is currently undergoing scheduled improvements.
This multi-month restoration requires a meticulous disassembling and rebuilding of the carousel, as well as creating new parts to replace the 100-year-old originals that are not available in stores. A team that specializes in carousel restoration will be replacing major structural elements, as well as restoring its menagerie of 65 animals over the next several months.
We look forward to celebrating the grand reopening of our
beloved carousel on Saturday, May 17, 2014!
Please let us know if you are interested in attending the celebration.
Adopt a Carousel Animal and receive recognition at our
Grand Reopening Celebration PLUS be among the first to experience the carousel
following the ribbon cutting ceremony with an exclusive VIP ride.
A Historic Treasure
The Children’s Creativity Carousel was built in 1906 by Charles Looff. For over 50 years it was a main attraction at the famed San Francisco amusement park, Playland-at-the-Beach. The Carousel was restored and installed in Yerba Buena Gardens at the Children’s Creativity Museum (formerly Zeum) in 1998.
History of the Children’s Creativity Carousel
- 1906 Constructed in Rhode Island by renowned designer and craftsman Charles I.D. Looff. The carousel was intended to be installed in San Francisco, however it could not be due to the great 1906 earthquake and fire.
- 1907 Installed at Luna Park, Seattle
- 1913 Moved to San Francisco’s oceanside amusement park, Playland-at-the-Beach
- 1972 Playland-at-the-Beach closes. Carousel purchased by private collector and put into storage in New Mexico
- 1983 Moved to Shoreline Village, Long Beach, CA
- 1998 Purchased by the City of San Francisco, fully restored, and opened in its current location at Children’s Creativity Museum (formerly Zeum) in Yerba Buena Gardens
The Children’s Creativity Museum operates the Children’s Creativity Carousel on behalf of the San Francisco Office of Civic Investment and Infrastructure (former SF Redevelopment Agency). Daily operations and maintenance of the Carousel are provided by MJM Management.
Connect with us and learn how YOU can be a part of this historic treasure!