OPEN DAILY, 10:00AM to 5:00PM
$4 per person (good for 2 rides) | $3 with paid museum admission
Leroy King Carousel will be closed all day on Wednesday, October 26, 2016 for routine maintenance. We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this might cause.
The carousel will reopen on Thursday, October 27, 2016 from 10:00am-5:00pm.
The history of the LeRoy King Carousel
- 1906 Constructed in Rhode Island by renowned designer and craftsman Charles I.D. Looff. The carousel was intended to be installed in San Francisco, however it could not be due to the great 1906 earthquake and fire.
- 1907 Installed at Luna Park, Seattle
- 1913 Moved to San Francisco’s oceanside amusement park, Playland-at-the-Beach
- 1972 Playland-at-the-Beach closes. Carousel purchased by private collector and put into storage in New Mexico
- 1983 Moved to Shoreline Village, Long Beach, CA
- 1998 Purchased by the City of San Francisco, fully restored, and opened in its current location at Children’s Creativity Museum (formerly Zeum) in Yerba Buena Gardens
- 2014 Restored and renamed in honor of former SF Redevelopment Commissioner LeRoy King
The Children’s Creativity Museum operates the LeRoy King Carousel on behalf of the San Francisco Office of Civic Investment and Infrastructure (former SF Redevelopment Agency). Daily operations and maintenance of the carousel are provided by MJM Management.
Connect with us and learn how YOU can be a part of this historic treasure!
The Children’s Creativity Museum is offering a unique opportunity for families. Imagine gifting your child or loved one with the opportunity to name his or her own carousel animal, while also supporting creativity and innovation.
The Carousel Campaign allows individuals and businesses the opportunity to sponsor or adopt an animal on the historic 107-year-old carousel. You may select any name for your animal and a nameplate will adorn the animal’s pedestal for an entire year! This is a wonderful opportunity to honor your family or a specific family member while also unleashing the creativity of your children by allowing them to choose the name!
View available animals by rolling over the numbers with your mouse.
Please allow a few seconds for the carousel diagram to load.